Friday 13 April 2012

Tis the end!


Reflective Blog post:

Communication is a key tool in the world of business. If nothing were to be communicated no work would be done. It is interesting to look back at how communication in the world has come such a long way by means of boats, ships, trains, airplanes, mail, telephone, cellphone, email, Facebook, Twitter, and the list goes on.  When I had heard about this class I was a little afraid of taking this course because even though I had all the tools for this class and I was already on Facebok and Twitter I just thought technology and all this media commotion was overrated. You hear how Smartphone’s increase the hours people work these days, take away from family time and can cause serious legal issues in court. Aside from all that, I didn’t completely have a negative attitude towards technology, because I do understand how it is shapes our daily living and will continue to be present, and I don’t want to be left behind in the times become an old grandma by the time I’m thirty. After having thought that technology can only go so far and can only carry us to the future so far, I realized I was terribly mistaken as to thinking I knew how to work all my gadgets and login accounts and I thought my Smartphone and laptop only served a couple purposes. In all truth, I was wrong, this class instead of emphasizing the worst of social media has focused on the many different ways technology can be used  to better the world and to simplify some activities and to share our common wealth with others in the quickest and most efficient way yet! It gave new light on using my Smartphone especially, and using my social media accounts not only for socializing but for resources and reliable contacts for the future.  I loved reading this interesting fact about using Smartphone’s in a creative way, here is a video: Smartphone marketing I will say this video has changed my perspective drastically about technology in modern times.

This class has made me a bit of a social media nut! I already am on Facebook and I was on Twitter before coming into this class but didn’t really have a clue how to navigate around the site.  I’m glad I have learnt now because I am already following people that can potentially help me in the future and I already find out great articles about the textile industry from a few followers.  Twitter is fairly simple to use and it is reliable for the latest news.  Though it may have the fastest news as I have learnt you do have to look up the sources of the articles and be academically aware that flaws do exist in the world of news, but I think after taking this course I can be sure to know what kind of an article is academically peer reviewed and what may just be a simple article out of a magazine or newspaper.  I know now how to read each article differently depending on whether it is an academic article or just an informative article.  

As for the blog, I think the blog was a great touch to the class because it promoted communication. It was an opportunity to show who you are as a person and let others see it in a professional manner.  It gave us a sense of common ground to go and comment and reflect on what others had to say about assignments. No one’s blog remotely looks the same because it is our own personal blog to develop and for it to grow in the future. I am glad I learnt all the tricks of starting a blog and how to write one because I now have the confidence to make a blog on my own and actually advertise it as mine via social media and not be afraid to voice my opinion. This is a fellow students blog which I’m glad to have met because she is graduating this year in the same program as me and she could be future contact for me after I’m done my degree and wanting to kick start my career in the fashion industry.

 Along with creating the blog, the linkedin, the Facebook page, I see now how your resume and CV can be beneficial for you in the world of media.  With all the competition out there keeping your resume and Cv up to date is date online is important for maintaining your social image of yourself.




Photo Credits: Ziyah Karmali 

Photo of my friend Sarah Dubé and I at WCFW. Photo taken April 4th 2012.

I am glad I have met a great friend in ALES 204 who I can continue to speak french with on main campus and is the same faculty as me! I invite you all to follow me on tumbrl here: coeurdebijoux where I plan on making this blog my main Fashion blog in the near future!

Links to my comments:
Alana Soderberg
Tess Beaton
Erin Hrycan
Sarah Dubé
Jasveer Brar


Thanks for a great class:)

1 comment:

  1. I had the same realization as you in this class. I did not think I needed to learn anything more about social media but I was wrong. We learned to apply social media in so many different ways in this class, in our professional and personal life. I also enjoyed the blog, it was a good way to have access to all the different comments and opinions about the assignments and presentations. I am also very happy to have met you in this class, it was great to meet people, which is the point of this class; to communicate with others throughout the internet or in person (when presenting to an audience or just meeting someone). Thank you for your friendship, je t'aime!

    ReplyDelete